Owner Draw Combo and List Box Control Updates
30 May 1999: The control has now been updated to version 2.1. This upgrade addresses
some minor bugs and problems with the previous version:
- Fix to the AutoComplete support. The previous version failed to allow items not in the list
to be typed, even when the AutoCompleteListItemsOnly property was set to False. This has been
resolved and the control now responds correctly.
- Setting the vertical alignment of items using the ItemYAlign property or as a
parameter of the AddItemWithData method had no effect. Fixed.
- Now supports font character sets, so works with symbol and non-western fonts.
- Some fonts (e.g. MS Sans Serif) did not appear in the font picker list.
- MouseDown, MouseMove and MouseUp events added.
- Enabled property now corrected; on some systems it was possible for the control to become
permanently disabled after it was disabled once.
- Change event did not fire when text changed.
10 January 1999: The control has now been updated to version 2. This addresses a number
of bugs and problems with the previous version:
Note: Unfortunately binary compatibility has somehow been lost for this control. The
filename therefore has been changed (it is now vbalODCL.ocx rather than ODCboLst.ocx). If you
are using the control, make sure you pick "vbAccelerator Owner Draw Combo and List Box (Version 2)"
from the controls list. If you have an earlier version of the control in existing projects,
you will need to delete the old versions of the control and re-add them using the new version.
My apologies for this problem.
- Focus handling was poor and contained many hacks. As a consequence the previous
version of the control did not work on MDI forms and also sometimes a GPF could occur.
The control now does focus
correctly using the IOLEInPlaceActiveObject interface. Many thanks to Mike Gainer (and
also to Matt Curland and Bill Storage) for providing code showing how to
- The height of the combo box portion of the box was incorrect and only appeared at the size
of the default System font. The control now sizes correctly according to the chosen font.
- The height of items in the list did not resize to accommodate larger or smaller fonts chosen
for the control. This now occurs unless you have explicitly set the height of the list item.
- Setting the font at run-time in a ListBox had no effect.
Previous Control Updates
18 August 1998: Now the control handles key events in a more consistent way,
and also a bug in the internal image list which could result in the check box and True-Type/Printer
icons drawing incorrectly has been fixed.